Bob Shanebrook's "Making KODAK Film, 2nd Edition" available
The first edition provided a great deal of information that had never been published. Nearly all of the additional information in the new book has never been published. Certainly never gathered together in a comprehensive explanation of film manufacturing.The book includes:
1. History of film base manufacturing including American Film, cellulose nitrate, cellulose acetate, Estar Base and others.
2. Expanded discussion of historic and modern emulsion making processes and equipment.
3. History of coating technology and expanded discussion of curtain coating including photographs of an operating Kodak curtain coater and the thread-up path of Kodak’s Building 38 Film Coating Machine.
4. Expanded description and photographs of finished film configurations and the finishing processes. Of special interest is motion picture film finishing using high speed T-perforators.
5. Detailed descriptions of photographic film image forming mechanisms for black-and-white films, color negative films, Ektachrome Films, and Kodachrome Films.
6. Technical descriptions and history of Kodak Films that are used for consumer, professional, motion picture, x-ray, micrographic, graphic, aerial, and scientific applications.
7. Description of past and current Kodak Worldwide manufacturing plants, interactions between the plants, and technology transfers.
8. First-hand description of working in Kodak’s film business in the 1980’s.
9. Information based on private communications with over 100 photographic experts.
10. Addition of over 225 photographs and diagrams.
11. Identification of sources of information; over 600 footnoted references.
12. A table of figures and an index to facilitate finding information in the book.
The book is 470 pages, 8.5 x 11 inches and four-color printed on 80-pound gloss paper. It is gloss-film lamination hard-cover bound. Shipping weight is 5 pounds. It was printed and bound in Rochester NY, USA
The price of the book is $125. In addition, there is a $15 shipping charge and sales tax for NY State delivery. If requested, books will be signed by the author.
Check or money order:
439 Avondale Road
Rochester, NY 14622
International: All prices in US dollars. I charge what USPS charges for shipping. USPS flat rate shipping is about the same for 1, 2, or 3 books to many countries. Contact me at makingKODAKfilm@yahoo.com